Wednesday 11 December 2013

Aspergers and Depression

Hey guys, welcome back to blog that comes to you exclusively from the Internet.

I hope you all have been doing well over the past week. I have had my own fair share of adventures. I saw the new hunger games movie, which was enjoyable. Sadly there were 4 girls behind me and my friend that wouldn’t shut up or stop munching loudy on food during the film. I have a feeling they don’t understand the meaning of ‘hunger’ games.

On Sunday I was at the annual TROPFEST festival. I hung out with my friends, ate junk food and watched  the best 16 short films from people around Australia that incorporate the TSI (Tropfest Signature Item)! This years theme was 'Change'. My favourite film was 'Makeover', it was about an old man who changes his appearance very drastically in order to go on a date with an attractive young woman! It was a fun time had by all and the movies where a mixture of comedy, horror, drama and thriller.

Okay now that we have finished the intrepid story of my week, and last week we finished the incredible 4 parter on Myers Briggs, lets get back to Aspergers Syndrome.

A major issue in todays society that I feel doesn't get enough attention is depression. It isn't an exclusive state to just Aspies but the general populace where age doesn't matter. The chances of knowing someone suffering with this condition are more common than people realise. The trouble is that we are all wound up in our own world and what is happening around us that we don't realise when someone close to us has this condition. Empathy seems to come into play when we have the time and energy to lend someone an ear or shoulder to cry on.  I have been through the depths of depression and it is horrible. Yet what separates Neuro-Typicals (the normal ones) with depression from the people with High Functioning Autism or Asperger Syndrome?

I have to say, working on this post has been an emotional exercise for me. When typing this blog it brought back a lot of the black moments in my past. These included the lack of understanding towards me and my condition, failed relationships (i.e. all of them), bullying and the fact that as humorous as I am, it doesn’t take much to break me down when being joked about.

If you read  my posts on Myers Briggs, you will find that people with ASD or Aspergers are much more on the thinking side rather than on the feeling side. But what happens when a person on the spectrum suffers from a  mental condition that disrupts the flow of things, it’s a paradox that would confuse a skunk with a perfume addiction.

Tests have shown that 1 in 15 people on the spectrum suffer from depression. It has been stated that this is due to the fact they become more aware with who they are to be, with this disability. Being different to their family and friends and the inability to have a relationship or to understand social paradigms can all be a cause to one becoming depressed.

There are other factors to consider such as being bullied in the past or any other form of abuse or trauma. From my personal experience I have tried to suppress or ignore those past painful experiences. When you are a victim it is very hard to talk to someone as you feel you are less than the person you should be. Depending on the advice or comfort you receive it can be either a step forward or a further plunge into depression. Something I also noticed if I dwelt on the bad things for a long time the harder it was to dig my way out of depression. 

So what are some of the traits that are common with those on the spectrum who are suffering from depression.

Many Aspies are known for their obsessive thoughts and their interests; whether it be a movie, collectibles or anything else really. Now when Aspies are depressed they start questioning these things. Obsessions that would bring pleasure to them now have no meaning. You start to ask yourself, “Why am I collecting this? Its just a piece of plastic”. “ What’s the point of this film? It's just the same thing over and over again like every other film” or “ Why am I reading this book? I will never meet these fictional characters”.  It has been said that this is very similar to a ‘masking’ effect. Without the person knowing due to their autistic natures, depression starts burrowing into their thoughts to the point where it almost takes over their souls. 

Lets go back to what causes the depression. I mentioned the fact that feeling  different to their friends and family can be one of the initial steps to making them feel depressed. How can you tell someone you love that you are different when they reply, "No you are not it is just a phase you are going through". They don’t understand everything that goes on in normal every day life and conversation of an Aspie. They have a different perspective and understanding of what is personal space, eye contact and conversation flow.  I always say that changing high schools was like landing on an unknown planet. Apparently I’m not the only one! So many people on the spectrum feel like they are an alien with a human mask on.

Lastly we come to Repetitive and Obsessive thoughts. Normally thoughts are not just black and white, there is always shades of grey (up to 50). However, to a person who is depressed the thoughts become more black than white. Not only that, the thoughts are on an never ending loop, dark thoughts spin into darker thoughts and that’s never a good sign. We must realise that we need someone to talk to and it is not just to offload our problems but to have some kind of reassurance that things will get better. There are many professional people out there who are willing to help out, such as Beyond Blue, Kids Hotline and Lifeline.

So what can be done to combat against this evil emotional menace? Well, I would have to say the thing that needs to be done in order to learn about overcoming  depression with someone on the spectrum is by tuning in next week to finding out in Part 2 of Aspergers and Depression


Well folks its time for me to head off, I hope you have a lovely week and an even lovelier weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment